Re: Songwriters

Robb,
My mistake. I misinterpreted your earlier post.
My intention was to list a few people to disprove a statement made on here
that there aren't as many good blues songwriters working today as there were
in the 1950's, etc.
I believe there are more people writing good/great songs these days but,
because there are even more wannabees writing hack material, it may be hard
to pick out the good ones.
I wouldn't list Raines as a great song writer - I was just casting around
for people who were writing decent blues tunes. But I would list people like
deLay, Oscher, Estrin, Myers, Lynwood Slim, etc, as great songwriters - even
if they only wrote one great song.
You're right that sometimes lyrics can sound phoned in. But that happens
even with some of the people that have been listed here as great. William
Clarke wrote some great songs - but he also wrote some pretty derivative
tunes too. I don't mind as long as the package is there - the groove, the
feeling, the tone, the passion can help to make 'okay' lyrics listenable.
For some example of tunes that fall back on some familiar phrases yet still
achieve greatness, I would recommend "The Deep Blues of Paul Oscher". For
example - "Traffic Problem" is very reminiscent of "Too Many Drivers" but is
still a great song. It might not be great if some middle class white bar
band did it instead of Oscher - but the same is true of many of Muddy
Waters' tunes too.
Cheers
AW