Chromatic questions.

Hello again, and thanks in advance for advice.  I recieve great advice here.
I have a Super X, 16 hole Hohner, that seems to eat reeds.  I have never tried
replacing a reed, but this critter is a frequent flyer, to Hohner repair, with
flat notes.  I have an ancient Chromonica that I got at a yard sale in the
early seventies.  It has some weak notes, but nothing flat.  This thing is
from the forties, as old as I am.  I just bought a new Chromonica, the
cheapest from Hohner, and it doesn't have the tone of either of the others.
I'm blind, and wonder if replacing reeds is something I should attempt.  I
make my money with harps, and go through them at a good clip. I've gone with
harp replacement rather than repair, for years.  Any advice would be
gratefully appreciated.  Bullfrog