Re: Pro Junior sighting

In a message dated 4/22/03 3:34:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mnessmith@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I had the great pleasure to see Willie Nelson in concert this past Friday
> night. Harp player Mickey Raphael sounded great as always. I noticed that
> he
> wasn't playing the late-'50s tweed Champ I'd seen him playing in the past
> (he uses a Beyer M-88 mic and runs it into an ART Tube pre-amp then splits
> the signal into A> a small tube amp that gets miked, and B> straight into
> the PA). At any rate, after the show I asked Mickey what this new, black
> amp
> was. He told me his old Champ was getting too beat up on the road, so he'd
> replaced it with a stock Pro Junior. "Sounds killer and only cost me $300!"
>
> he said.
> MN

No surprise there,

The Pro Junior is one of the best amps on the market right now IMHO. Kid
Ramos used that amp all over his Evidence releases and many other artists use
it as well. Its a very high gain amp, the speaker it comes with is mediocre
at best and should be swapped out with a reissue Jensen C10Q (I think the amp
leans more toward ceramic magnets). Good tube swaps with some Ei EL84's and a
decent 12at7 in the first gain stage and you're ready to rock. Seriously this
is one of the best sounding amps Fender has ever made, every guitar player
and harp player should own one. A guitar player I know uses this amp for live
situations and I must say it is some of the best tone I have ever heard.

Andrew