Re: On harp instrumentals

Okay, I've been following this conversation for a while and I'm reading all the
things that people say about instrumental music vs. vocals. I don't know who
among you are musicians, but it is beyond me how any musician could find it
difficult to appreciate a good instrumental. For me, the lyrics are just another
instrument in the mix. When I listen to a song, I hear everything. I listen to
the harmonica and I listen to the guitar and I listen to how they interract with
each other. I listen to how the rhythm section interplays with the lead
instruments. The beautiful thing about the blues is the fact that it is so
versatile yet still maintains (for the most part) its I-IV-V guidelines. For me,
it is not just the singing or just the harp or just the guitar that makes a
song. It's how they all work together to create tension and UNITY.

Actually, come to think of it, I didn't always think that. I used to be big into
punk rock...and even after I got into blues, I didn't really UNDERSTAND the
music until much later. It was only after a lot of listening and a lot of
conversations with pros that I began to really develop an appreciation for the
blues. I could never be bored by a good blues song. The more proficient I become
as a musician, the more new things I discover when I am listening to the same
songs I've been listening to for the last two years. That's the beauty of the
blues. It is alive and it is more than just a bunch of guys "jamming out."
That's what makes the blues beautiful

Love,

~Me