Re: Inside the Hohner XB-40

Hey Bob,

  thanks for posting the pics. i can't wait for this thing to come out...
you said:
>Looks to me like there's no *reedplates* per se... Perhaps the picture
>is showing the "valve chambers" and the plates are removed

i think the latter is true. if you look at the first two images, you can
clearly see a brass(?) reedplate that's just not there in the 3rd image. i
think the reeds in the 3rd image are the "auxiliary reeds" mentioned in the
article. they are tuned to enable a full tone bend on each hole (and 3
semitones on the draw 3).
i was lucky enough to wrap my lips around one of these babies at the NY
Reedster's gathering. someone there said, half-jokingly, "now we can all
sound like Howard Levy." i have to say, even after just a minute of
amateurish puffing, i was impressed. i think the possibilities with this
instrument will be incredibly liberating. (Rick Epping actually played it on
a couple of tunes, but i have to admit my ear isn't trained enough to
"picture" what he's doing when he plays). anyway, i remember Rick
specifically mentioning that all the reeds are "on the outside" and easy to
get to, for tuning. by which i think he meant the sounding reeds, in which
case i figure they're all on the reedplate missing from the photo.
presumably the auxilliary reeds would be much less in need of periodic
tuning. also notice it has a detachable mouthpiece. wonder why?
one thing i'm curious to find out is what the customisers out there are
going to do when they get their hands on one of these.

      --Jp