benefits of the list

I was jamming yesterday and realized I wasn't just playing riffs, but
actually knew the notes I was playing. We jammed on an odd key-lots of
suspended chords- and I was able to not only play 3rd position but also
could tell it was the wrong key and switch to a major pentatonic. I credit
this improvement to the list. I've played harp for years. I've got the
chops. Now I'm able to play more consciously.I know what notes I'm playing
and I can even hit the 3 bend consistently.

Also I found myself switching embrouchures, not for the tone, but because
some riffs are easier to tongue block-something I never would have thought
of just a few years ago. Also I find myself thinking about the sound,
whether to add vibrato, octaves, tongue slaps-again before I would just
riff.

Playing from the heart is important, but there has to be more to
improvisation than just riffing. Thanks to harp-l, I'm starting to
understand.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals