Re: repairing a wooden comb

Fernando wrote:
> I own a Hohner MS Blues Harp. Maybe because of the use, the cover paint
> of some parts from the wooden comb is gone, something that does a little
> harm to my tongue, especially while tongue blocking some holes. I wonder
> if there's a way to repair this, if there's a special paint, wax or else.

I have a friend who plays MS Blues Harps exclusively, and he has noticed that
the newer ones seem to deteriorate at the tips of the tines after some use.  I
haven't had that problem, but I've only owned a few of this model, and they
were purchased some time ago.

I would suggest that *before the harp is played* the tips of the comb tines
should be rounded slightly, and the comb sealed with a water based sealer or
wax.  Once the harp has been played the deterioation process has started, and
it may not be possible to completely seal it, though it certainly can't hurt to
try.

There are lots of resources on this list's archives and others' web sites for
appropriate sealers (I use beeswax, but others prefer water based sealers
approved for contact with the mouth).  Don't use too fine a sandpaper on the
wood or it makes it difficult for the sealer to be absorbed properly.

If the combs are too far gone you should be able to get replacements from
Hohner, though I have never tried.  That is one of the advantages of MS, though
in practice it seems to be more for the replacement of reedplates than combs or
covers.

- -tim