Re: Jimmy Zavala and The Wire

In a message dated 4/28/03 12:36:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
SloopyJoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I'll have to check out this Jimmy Zavala guy. I've never heard of him. As
> for the
> harp player in "Devil in the Hole," that's Charlie Musselwhite. In my
> opinion,
> Musselwhite is one of the most underappreciated harp players of today
> (which goes
> hand in hand with all of the OVER-appreciated ones), so check him out. He
> plays all
> through "Spirit of the Century" (the blind boys of alabama album that
> "Devil in the
> Hole" is on). It's an incredible album with some awesome Gospel style
> singing and
> traditional blues, as well as one of the most soulful cuts of Amazing Grace
> I have
> ever heard.
>
> Love,
>
> ~Me

"Spirit of the Century" is one of the best albums of the last 3-4 years.
Blind Boys of Alabama did a great record, and everybody on this list should
buy it. Musselwhite's playing on it is tasteful and appropriate; though I am
not a big of Musselwhite I have serious respect for anyone that can play a
simple melody or simple parts and make them sound great. Its odd, I prefer
Musselwhite when he is siding with other people than his original stuff. He
is a great musician in my book, and well worth the cash to get his CD's.

Andrew