Re: Posture

>From: "Jp Pagan" <coquiblues@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>i know this has been asked before, but is there a proper posture for
>harmonica players (especially if you play amped)? is sitting or standing an
>issue?

Obviously, any posture that impedes airflow is a factor.

I don't believe that sitting or standing makes any real difference. Steve
Guyger plays sitting down and he's got great tone. Toots also plays sitting
down -- ditto for his tone.

IMHO, the real posture issue is hunching over the harp --that is, bending
over while playing so that spit and and food particles in your mouth flow
into the harp and can potential cause reeds to clog.

You should probably stand or sit with your back straight and your head level
or slightly tilted back so that the harp is parallel to the floor or
slightly pointing upward.

>i also ran across some old posts dealing with bad posture on the part of
>chromatic players, due in part to the slide, but i couldn't understand what
>the issue was, exactly. maybe someone here can explain it...

Dried spit is the primary cause of sticking slides. It will always be an
issue no matter what your posture is because there wll always be moisture in
your breath. Again, bending over so that the harp is pointed toward the
floor will increase the severity of the problem.

Really, posture is common sense. Your mom probably told you to sit up
straight at the dinner table and not slouch while eating. It was good advice
then, and good advice for playing harp as well.
:-)

Jimbeau