RE: "Paddy Richter" tuning

> Larry Pratt requested information on the Paddy Richter=20
> tuning, to which Scorcher replied:
> "Actually, Larry, you can just buy 2 Lee Oskars..."

A "Paddy Richter" harp (the term was coined by Brendan Power) is a =
standard 10-hole diatonic with the blow 3 note raised a whole step. The =
note that is normally duplicated at draw 2/blow 3 (sol/sol) becomes two =
notes of the harp's 1st-position scale (sol/la) and is available for =
melody playing in the lowest octave of the harmonica. (You still need to =
draw bend hole 2 to get the 4th note of the scale) A diatonic harp in G =
covers the full range of the fiddle, so it is a suitable instrument for =
playing traditional Irish dance music.

Anyone who can trim their own fingernails can tune one reed on a 10-hole =
up a whole step (by ear) in about 5 minutes. (or slightly longer, if, =
like me - you are prone to dropping little bolts and nuts on the shag =
carpet)

You can accomplish this with just a screwdriver, toothpick, thin =
cardboard and a fingernail file.

Try this on a cheap, old harmonica for practice. You do not need to =
completely disassemble the harp. Pop off the covers, insert the =
toothpick into hole 3, and carefully push the blow 3 reed through the =
reedplate slot. Carefully slide the cardboard under the reed so that it =
is propped up above the plate. (thin sheetmetal like feeler-gauge stock =
is better than cardboard, but stiff, thin cardboard will work just fine) =
Now the reed is positioned to retune.

Carefully and evenly file along the full surface of the upper length of =
the reed, using even pressure, going in the direction away from the =
riveted base of the reed. Be careful - you don't want to bend or buckle =
the reed. At first, after every few strokes, pull out the cardboard, and =
compare draw 2 reed with blow 3 reed. Blow 3 will start to sound a =
little sharper. Repeat the process until blow 3 is tuned a whole step =
above draw 2. Hopefully, your ear should be able to tell you this, but =
you can also compare it to the note in draw 6 - one octave higher.

Replace covers, you are ready to learn some Irish jigs and reels.... :-)

Bob Laughton