Booking Agents -- minimal harp content

My band is contemplating a booking agent.  I'm curious about anyone's
experience with a booking agent.  What should I expect in terms of performance,
effort, rates?  We are making a distinction here between a booking agent, a
publicist and a manager.  My notion is that a booking agent should do the
legwork contacting venues to get us on the bill.  A publicist is more into
publicizing our existence, writing releases, contacting radio stations or
magazines, just getting our name out there in a consistent fashion.  A manager
should do all these things and probably more.  We are only interested (at this
time) in a booking agent.  Harp content: There, I used the word harp.  Replies
are welcome on or off list.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt