SPAH report

  George (always smiling) Brooks, whom I have had my eye on for YEARS.
mentioned:

   Mikael Backman...Every year I go to a convention my "sonic" hearing
picks up one or two people who are distinctive. Mikael is certainly
one of THOSE. I believe he might just be a shy person, and this comes
out in his playing. Not in a bad way, mind you, but in a relaxed,
smooth, ultra
soft-edged sound the likes of which I haven't heard that awful much
since listening to Lazy Lester. Just great NO-BS playing here. NOT
trying to run a race or impress anyone, but he certainly did get MY
attention. Who would have believed that a youngster from SWEDEN could
capture the "sound" so purely? I'll have to WATCH this guy, and I
don't think he's going to go away.

   Beth Kohnen...Here is the perfect example of a white female from
California YET, putting out a "tone" which is totally out of context
with what the "Clique, categorizing world" would expect. My brain
immediately registered 100 when the notes hit my ears. As an old goof
who has (thank God) heard more than his share of old masters (when
they were STILL 98.6 and breathing), I (personally) feel that THIS
KID GOT IT. I have no idea what kind of life she has led or what
possible pain, agony, heartbreak, etc. she may (or may NOT) have gone
through, but some have it and some don't. I am sitting here listening
to her stuff and it is just great. I expect to see a LOT more from
her.

Usual disclaimers, just an appreciative fan.

   smokey-joe.....remember: harmonica is a love affair/please be