tape on inside od coverplates

Hi -
I just got a Hering 1923 and I am farirly pleased with
it, but two things bother me:
1 - the #1 draw makes a small rattling sound when I
draw (and bend) hard - any suggestions to fix this?
2-  THe overall sound is slightly more trebely
(thinner) than I like. I have seen some custome harps
that have strips of tape (adhesive? gaffer tape?) on
the inside of the coverplates, at the top, near the
mouthpiece. Is this used as a "damper" ? would this
give my harp a slightly less bright tone?
(before anyone suggests this is due to my technique,
let me add that my comments are relative to MY playing
on other harps, such as Marine Bands, Special 20 and
Big Rivers with Hohner replacement reeds)
Thanks in advance for any tips!

Dov Hammer