Re: Why not just call them "Guitar Jams"

Hey Frank,

I'm a Denver area harper. I'm really sorry your jam
experience was so bad! Yikes!

I don't know which jam you attended, but I go to a
few around town that are alot more accepting of
harp players.

Try Ziggie's Saloon, Teusday night jams 4923 W.
38th Ave. I haven't been in a while, but have had
great fun there, and played with several
intermediate players who have got their licks in.

Also, you might try Riley's Tavern & Grill in
Broomfield on Thursday nights.

If you want to go for a drive, Oskar Blues, up in
Lyons holds a jam on the first Thursday of month. I
haven't been to this one in a couple years.

The best Denver area blues jam right now, however,
happens on Sunday afternoons (5pm) at the Lakewood
Grill (Colfax near Wadsworth). The jam is run by
Jerry Hundt, a guitarist who also happens to play
killer harp and loves to see harp players get up.
Some truly great players show up for this one. I
try to get to this on when I can.

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

- --- Frank Turina <fturina@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have been playing/practicing Blues Harp for
> about a year.  Recently, I
> started going to the local blues jams.  The first
> few times were great.  The
> host band was supportive and encouraged me to get
> up and play and I learned
> a ton.  Then that particular band stopped running
> the gig, so lately I've
> been trying out some other jams in town (Denver).
>  OK, I've heard all the
> harmanoica player jokes, but didn't think they
> amounted to a full-blown
> bias.  Now I know different.  I'm learning and my
> ego isn't that big.  I
> know I don't sound like LW or Cotton. But even
> BEFORE I go up and play, I'm
> usually treated like a second class citizen.
> Tonight, at a place that I
> never played before, I heard the Jam's host ask
> the guitarists if they
> wanted a harp player to sit in - They said no, so
> I sat out the real
> electric blues set and they stuck me with an
> acoustic folk singer/guitarist.
>   I floundered trying to play first position and
> third position to accompany
> his minor keys.  I'm just starting to get
> comfortable in Cross Harp.  (After
> the first song, the host came up to the guitarist
> and said he was doing a
> good job "drowning out the harp player.")  It
> wasn't fair to me or the
> guitar player, who was very good.
>
> I'm not just writing to whine. I won't go back
> there, but  I love playing
> and I'm not going to quit.  My question is how do
> more experienced players
> deal with the situation?  How can I "cut my
> chops" on the Harp?  And Does
> anyone know of a harp-friendly jam in Denver?
>
> Thanks

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens