Re: need help with intonation

>From: "Knapton" <sunday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: need help with intonation
>Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:19:11 +1300
>

>My diatonic harps are an eclectic array of anything that'll blow through a
>gig, Hohner MB, BH, Sp20, Meisterklasse, Lee Oskar and some Chinese harps
>called Jambone.
>Intonation is important with the current line-up.... working with sax,
>guitar and keys. Lots of single note riffs and horn lines.
>I really need to get my act together with some uniformity of harps.
>I like the 'roundness' of tone a plastic comb can produce, such as the
>Special 20.
>Lee Oskars' i find to be a very durable workhorse, but a tad shrill in
>tone,
>for my liking.
>What recommendations do people have for 'equal tuned' harps with a rounded
>tone like the Special 20?
>I understand there's lots of brands in the market place, so any help will
>be
>appreciated.
>Thank you
>Pete Knapton

Hi Pete

You could try Golden Melodies or one of several varieties of Suzuki
harps...but if I were in your shoes, as an aficionado of Special 20s, I'd
invest in a chromatic tuner and a Lee Oskar repair kit and fine-tune the
Sp20s to equal temperament. It's a lot easier than it sounds and can be done
in less than a half-hour once you've done a few.  No advice is good advice
but there it is anyway!

Steve Shaw

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica