Re: Major pentatonic scale

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2003 5:20 AM
Subject: Major pentatonic scale

> I can get the major pentatonic scale pretty easily playing a modified 2nd
> position that's more like 5th position. Has anyone got any experience
playing
> Allman Brothers and that type of music on the Lee Oskar Melody Maker? I
thought
> it might make for a different color-hitting the 2nd without bending.

I haven't used a Melody Maker, but if you want to use a regular diatonic
without having to bend to get the 2nd degree, just play it in the top octave
of the harp.

Here is the scale for both octaves:

Bottom:  2D 3D (bent down a whole step) 3D 4D 5B 6B

Top:  6B 6D 7D 8D 8B 9B

That top scale can be played ridiculously fast if you work on it.

Speaking of Lee Oskar, he played a lot of Major Pentatonic stuff with War.

Have fun.

Alec Drachman
http://www.bluecats.org