the process

If a magic box is ever invented that automatically makes us an instant
musician, we'll be missing out on a lot of fun. Sure it takes time and
perserverance to play, but it's fun. That's why we play music as opposed to
work music. Do you remember the glow you got the first time you nailed a
bent note? Some of the best times I've ever had were spent working out riffs
with friends, trying to whoop while playing chords on an old beat up Marine
band when I was 16, figuring out octaves.Also, you don't have to be good to
have fun playing music. Otherwise there'd be no such thing as garage bands.

I spent an hour the other day happily lost trying to figure out the C, F,
and D minor scales on the chromatic. You'd think it would be easy, but I
always get thrown off because the C blow note is repeated, and you have to
sharp the A to get a Bb. The D minor scale is easy enough but the D inhale
is right next to the B and I'm trying to avoid the B all together (trying
out my pentatonic scales). It's fun. It's like a crossword puzzle, except
you have a usable skill when you're done-no offense to crossword fanatics
intended.

Cut and paste auto tune karaoke music has its place, but it's nowhere near
as much fun as actually learning how to play. I do wish I had the $1200 for
the Vocal Prism box-I'd spend it on voice lessons.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals