Re: Reading Music

> Meanwhile: Any thoughts on the particular perspective
> of diatonic/richter harp and better reading skills are
> really appreciated. Not just as far as transposing,
> but in having a ~template/mindset~ for switching from
> one harp/position to another when needed. Thanks
> again.

I think that reading for different diatonic harmonicas is very much like
solfege with a movable do.

Movable do solfege is the methode where you learn to sing sheetmusic by
placing the do (of do re mi etc.) on the tonic/root  of the piece you are
trying to sing.

When the piece is in C you sing "do" when there is a C on the staff and when
you sing a tune that is in G you sing "fa" when there is a C on the staff.

I think that you can use that methode on the diatonic harmonica, where you
not think of the note names but of do re mi instead. That way are less
likely to get confused by all the possible names notes have when they are on
different harmonicas and you are playing in different positions.

Maybe you should do a search for "movable do solfege" and see if there is
anything helpfull out there.

I don't play different harps myself, but I do practice things in different
positions and I find that I use something similar to this when I play
something in different position and I can't find the next note.

I tend to think of melodys not as notes with a name, but more as scale
degrees. That way when you know a melody in one scale you can also play it
in another scale by playing the same scale degrees in the other scale.
Added bonus is that you then can also play a major key melody in minor if
you want to (I don't know why you would want to but I think it is fun to do
:-)

And most of all I think that that best thing to do is to be able to play the
melody without thinking about it at all by just hearing it and beeing able
to find the notes on that harp without hesitation. And I wish I could.

Tinus
http://www.tenhole.com
Overblows and Overdraws on the Diatonic Harmonica.

http://www.overblow.com/harmonica
Scale and Chord finder for the harmonica and all alternative tunings.