Re: Reading Music

I think the only argument against learning to read would be for a rank
beginner - and only for the beginning stages.  I think it's good to develop
BOTH reading AND a good ear.  In my experience, learning to read is quick
enough that a lot of newbies will never develop their ear once they know how
to read.

If the issue of ear training is specifically addressed (i.e. in a course of
study), then yes I think it's good for beginners to learn both reading and
playing by ear.  If it's not, then I feel it's best to learn to play by ear
first, while the beginner is still dependent on his ear and forced into
developing it.

I've heard some arguments that reading "destroys your (musical) soul".  And
yet some of the most soulful musicians I know are fluent readers.  And
likewise, some of the least soulful play strictly by ear.  Soul is our
ability to express yourself, to let our mood, feelings, etc., come through
and affect the way we play.  If we lack the confidence in our playing, we'll
hold back, and probably try to copy others, because that's safe.  If people
don't like our note for note cover of Juke, it's Little Walter they reject
and not us.

Some great examples of soulful sight readers are jazz musicians like John
Coltrane and Miles Davis.  These two have different, and even conflicting,
styles of rendition and improvisation.  Coltrane was very busy and all over
the place.  Miles played starkly simple.  Put the same chart in front of
both and you'll hear two vastly different songs, based on their respective
soul.

Reading won't destroy our soul unless we follow it like a slave, in which
case it's likely that we don't play with much soul to begin with.

"Solfege" is the "do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do" method of singing a musical
scale.  We can apply this to harmonica.  Learn the song in "solfege", then
learn solfege in all 12 keys on your harp (or just for the positions you
play).  Tinus' suggestion about "movable solfege" is very good.  This is
just another name for transposing.  Transposing is a very easy skill for
folks with only relative pitch (which is most folks).  If we change
harmonicas, we already do a form of transposition.  For those with perfect
pitch, it's a little more challenging, but not much - you just have to
convert to solfege first.

Scale degrees (I-II-III-IV etc.) is quite similar in principle.  It
basically just uses different names.

This makes it all sound a LOT more complicated than it really is in
practice.  Basically, if you can hear a song and figure it out, you can read
a song (and "hear it in your head") and apply the very same principle.  Take
these suggestions, not as a major assignment, but as a list of things to do
one at a time.

First, learn to read a simple "no flats no sharps" C lead sheet (melody).

Once you're comfortable with this, start to work on the various key
signatures, recognizing that its the same except that the "do" just starts
on a different line/space.

Learn your different modes, too.  The C key signature (no sharps/flats) is
used for C Ionian, D Dorian, E Phrygian, F Lydian, G Mixolydian, A Aeolian,
and B Locrian modes.  When you see a song in A minor with no sharps ofr
flats (C key sig), you know right away that it's most likely Aeolian mode!
The key signature also suggest which harp might be the most appropriate.

The template we can use to determine which position we might want to use is
quite simple - the circle of fifths (which is a nifty shortcut for key
signatures and harp positions), and the modes each position is usually
associated with.  If a song is in Ionian major, first position is a likely
choice.  If it's Aeolian minor (I II IIIm IV V bVI domVII), 4th position is
a good candidate.

You'll notice that I hesitate to say absolutely, and there's a good reason.
Because most of us can bend notes (and a lot can overblow ur use valved
diatonics), there are more choices.  For example, Dorian minor is a piece of
cake for lower note 2nd position, e.g. Butterfields "Work Song".

http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
- -IronMan Mike Curtis Band  http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues
Magazine http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm Starboard Attitude/Redondo