Volume problems

Took my new Turbo-lids out to a jam today.

I've been woodshedding like a fiend since I got 'em, and I wanted to hear
them through my rig (Sure 520DX + Pro Jr.) at full holler.

It was only my third jam. (I got real carried away on one tune, and I was
just...wild. I was just goin' crazy, but everything that came out of the amp
sounded like it was planned. Strange feeling for a rookie. Wish I could
manage that every time!)

Chet, the guy running the jam (real nice guy, by the way) complimented my
sound, and "had to" play thru my rig. First time a real harp player has had
something nice to say about my sound (tone?). Credit Fender, or Turbo-dog?

Mmmmmmmm, that was nice.

Well, Chet's got good tone, too - whipped some William CLarke chromatic
stuff on me. MMmmmmmmmm!

Anyway, to the point:
I had one heckuva time hearing myself. I was standing right next to my amp,
but smack in front of the guitar player's (Fender Twin?) amp. How do you
veterans deal with this situation, if there's not a mike for your rig, and
you don't have a louder amp in the car?