Re: Reading Music

I don't know who said it on this thread but someone made a reference
to some line about "reading music kills the soul of music" or
something vaguely to that effect, and the person posting wondered
where that came from.

I don't know--but I can hazard a guess, at least in Canada.

I am sure there are exceptions to what I am about to say, but this is
still my experience, and it has to do with piano players--especially
ones taught from a very young age by teachers of varying skill, but
all using the "Toronto Conservatory" method and lessons. And I mean
players with over 10 years of study.

I can't count on all my fingers and toes how many of these dedicated
musicians I have met, T/Conservatory trained, who have _no_ ear and
even less sense of rhythm. Take the sheet away and they _can't_ play
Period. Not a basic run over a I IV V progression, not a minor scale
over a basic chording of "Summertime". Mary Had a Little Lamb--maybe,
but only if they learned it before the teacher found out they were
cheating and actually learned it by <horrors> ear.

What was done to these musicians was a crime, in my opinion, something
short of ax murder, but still pretty miserable. I mean no insult to
the students, but I have _no_ respect for the teachers who let this
happen.

My ex-wife, a beautiful player with a score in front of her, found it
intensly frustrating and not just a bit galling that I--a mere
harmonica player--could sit in with a bunch of musicians and just
_go_, when she who had the years of training had to just sit there,
even when we were all playing melodies she could hum or sing.

In the same thread, someone--maybe the same person--said they thought
reading was an excellent idea, but only after one learned to play by
ear.

I don't know. I like being able to do both to the degree I can, and
very much wish my reading was much better--but if  I had to choose
between being a good "ear" player, or a good sight reader...on
harp..I'd go with my ear.

My point? I'm not sure, except that the folks I'm talking about could
read, and read well, but they couldn't rock, and they couldn't roll.

<rant over...>

Best regards,
 Ron/datadigr                            mailto:rdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx