Re: Comb Material [revisited]

<quote>
From: vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 12:52 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Comb Material [revisited]

I certainly regret that I gave my opinion on this list. This is my
understanding....

Comb material don't make much difference but when we were in the hotel this
weekend and started checking into it we ALL heard a difference in the fullness.
Though on single notes it was not obvious, on chords it was clear to us. And no
it was NOT enough to pick out blindfolded, but it was enough to make me ask "why
can't anyone else hear this". I am convinced that obviously some of the people
here either of the three

1- Hasn't TRULY tested comb difference on the same harp
2- There ears are not accurate enough to hear this
3- They are just looking to disagree for some other purpose

Oh well I hope this thread and badgering is over, lol....

Vince Cheney
</quote>

I disagree Vince,

Firstly there are people who:

1) HAVE truely tested comb differences on the same harp, indeed using exactly
the same components all except the comb itself, unlike in the test you observed.
And certainly under much more finely controlled conditions than you described.

2) Some of these people (not neccessarily those who have spoken up) have very
accurate hearing as their occupation developed and required it.

3) And these same people are not the sort looking for disagreement, their only
motivation is to find out the truth.  There are many with an interest in this
that are certainly more objective in their research and opinions than others.
They've been here a lot longer than you or I.

FWIW I am sceptical that what you heard was due to comb material because of your
observation that you couldn't tell when only single notes were blown, but it was
easy to tell when chords were played.
This suggests to me the first culprit of difference between them was the tuning
of the reedplates, even if they were all tuned to the same reference point, by
the same person using the same system. It doesn't take much for similar chords
to have noticable differences depending on their discrepancies.  Especially if
tuned to a form of Just Intonation.  The difference between 12TET (tempered) and
JI is very noticable.

I'm not saying there wasn't a difference or there was a difference, between the
harmonica's tone from the combs.

I'm saying there are several variables that have to be eliminated so that the
ONLY difference is the comb.  Thats hard to do.  Its tedious trying to work out
the ideal conditions that would meet a truely satisfactory test conditions.
Many have tried but fallen short.  The materials debate has been going on for
MANY years.  Its also just as hotly debated about other instruments such as the
Saxophone and Violin.

I don't think many of us are in a position to solidly say that we've proven
beyond all doubt whether or not comb materials make a difference.

This thread has reared its head regularly.  There have been a number of comb
comparison tests at harp gatherings.  MyQuill put together a huge sample of A/B
sound samples under the best circumstances he could muster, same reedplates,
same covers, only difference was the comb, yet no real conclusion came of it.

Short of doing tests under strict laboratory conditions with a large proportion
of comparisons with agreed specific criteria, and using double blind tests, you
will be hard pushed to conclusively prove anything, let alone beat the tests
done to date.

Even if such a series of tests was done properly by unbiased parties with
expertise in the area, I still doubt it would persuade many away from their
personal conclusions.

I've drawn my own personal conclusions from MyQuill's tests.  I cannot prove
conclusively one way or the other and I certainly wouldn't try to categorically
state my conclusions as fact without doing some really hard research behind it.

But frankly I think there are far greater factors with harmonicas that affect
their tone and the way they sound that we could be focusing on:
* tuning
* the average harmonica player's ability
* the standard of construction

Believe what you will, but don't be surprised at the reaction you get when you
try to categorically and pubically state its as the truth, which is how it
initially came across to me.

Best regards
G.