Re: Comb Material [revisited]

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 17:22:28 -0800
 IronMan Mike Curtis <ironman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 An aeronautical engineer "proved" that the bumblebee
couldn't fly. The wings are far too stubby, the body mass
and dimensions
are not aerodynamically sound, etc. Of course, the guy who
"proved" this
did it with tongue firmly in cheek, because he *sees* that
the "ignorant"
bumblebee does indeed fly "despite scientific fact".

Ok, this part's mine, I don't have the ability to easily
quote text.  The scientist in Vienna at a cocktail party
was asked by reporters to calaculate the reality of how
bumblebees fly.  Using the wrong input data (incorrect wing
shape) he surmised bees couldn't fly all the while knowing
he'd done something wrong.  Monday morning he returned to
his offices, realised his mistake, redid the calculations
and had supporting formulae for the reality of bumblebee's
flight.  The press however published the initial results
and here we are some 80 odd years and an entire century
later still saying scientists proved bumblebees can't fly.

This of course shouldn't serve to negate Mike's point which
was we hear it so it's there.  Vern makes very credible
arguements in the other direction.  What's unfortunate
about this entire thread is that there's absolutely nothing
new being said here.  Including my asides about bumblebees
in Austria.  All I can say is Vern Smith is about the most
patient person I've seen in a good long while.  fjm