Re: rechargeable batteries, was Re: Wireless

From: "Ken Hildebrand" <kenhildebrand@xxxxxxx>

> How easy is it to switch out a dead battery ?

Very.  It takes less than a minute if yo ukeep a spare within reach.

> Ideally, I would think the manufactures of these wireless
> setups would provide good quality NiMH battery packs
> that hold a decent charge and maybe a warning when the
> charge gets too low.   How about a dual battery setup
> so that you can flip a switch to the fresh battery, and pop
> in a replacement for the low/dead battery when time permits ?

No need for good quality packs.  You can buy inexpensive generic
rechargeables that are as good as they get.

Most wireless units have low voltage indicators.  These work fine for
alkaline batteries, which decline in voltage gradually over their lifespan.
But NiCd and NiMH batteries have a remarkably constant voltage until they're
discharged, and then drop quite suddenly.

A dual battery setup sound good, until you factor in size, weight, and added
expense.  When you're performing, you want the smallest and least obtrusive
wireless possible.  the Samson Airline series is quite popular for just this
reason - they're TINY.  They're also WAYYY overpriced IMHO, but a lot of
folks still buy 'em because they're small.

In my opinion, changing batteries is not a problem, especially in a band
where someone else will (usually *too* happily) take over your solo.  They
call me IronMan in part because I play 3 and 4 hour sets (and of course this
affords me little opportunity to change batteries ;-)  Also, because I
usually either work solo, or as a solo with a couple of extra musicians (I
play harp, guitar, organ style bass pedals at the same time, and do most of
th vocals)  I don't have as much opportunity to change batteries as a
"normal" (sideman) player might.  But when I do take breaks, I eliminate the
problem, and change batteries.

Something I've noticed about this discussion - it seems the ones most
concerned about it are the ones that don't play out all that much.  Yes it's
a scary prospect to have your rig suddenly die if it's never happened.  But
those of us who've played for years are accustomed to it every once in a
while, and we just deal with it the best we can.  I can promise you that you
will NOT lose the audience by changing a battery ;-)

A while back, I was playing at the Blues Harmonica Blowdown at the House Of
Blues in West Hollywood.  It was Saturday night, and the place was jam
packed, standing room only.  I was the opening act for Bernie Pearl &
Harmonica Fats, James Harman band, Rod Piazza & the Mighty Flyers, and Billy
Boy Arnold.  During my set, my bass pedals started cutting out.  I could
have freaked, stopped playing, and went back messing with them.  Instead, I
just kept playing guitar, harp, and vocals.  One of the sound crew noticed,
came up to my rack, checked cables, and found a loose MIDI cable (I rewired
my rack especially for that gig - never again ;-)  That fixed the problem.
The set went off very well.  In fact, I got several great reviews (one by a
reviewer that didn't even notice I was playing bass pedals!)

My point is, there will always be things going wrong on stage.  We can let
them defeat us, or we can work around them.

If I were playing (only) harmonica and my harp rig went out, I'd just grab a
vocal mic.

- -IronMan Mike Curtis Band  http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues
Magazine http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm Starboard Attitude/Redondo
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3