Re: Tuning Harps [was: Harp Tuners]

Bobbie wrote:
>Now, however, I'm going to depart from my old friend's reasoning... ;)

I would call it speculation, rather than reason!

>I go with the long-speculated theory among many harptechs that the moisture
>that accumulates from the breath on the reeds and slot surfaces is what's
>really at work in lowering the pitch while tuning blow notes.

As I think I said in my responses to Vern's very informative posts, I'm willing
to be persuaded that the effect is due to a different cause.  I have certainly
never done the expermientation, even at the level Bobbie suggests, to try to
determine the source.  Maybe after the kids are off at college and I have more
time on my hands.  In any case, Bobbie's theory satisfies the observations I
have made.  I await the debate.

>Personally, I ALWAYS argue with the data if I don't agree with it...

Doesn't sound like you're arguing with the data, only disagreeing with the
speculation about the root cause.  I have no problem with that!  It just
reinforces my belief that I gain more from this list than I could ever pay
back.  Thanks to everyone involved in the relentless pursuit of the truth about
harmonicas!

- -tim
www.workingmansharps.com