Re: Technique question

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "DL Terry" <so_blue@xxxxxxx>
To: "! HARP-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 11:46 AM
Subject: Technique question

> I'm trying to learn to tongue block. I've been TB-ing as much as possible
> lately - no pucker at all, if I can avoid it.
>
> It's VERY difficult for me to get my draw bends with a TB embouchure.
>
> I've been told recently that most TBers DON'T TB on the bottom 3 or 4
holes,
> to facilitate bending. I thought TBers did everything w/ this
embouchure....

> Is this why I've been having so much trouble with these bends?

Hi,
With the TB, you need to have a wider opening in your mouth.to do everything
because the tongue, unlike the pucker method, is not fully out of your way.
I use both the pucker and TB methods and have NO problems bending the bottom
3 or 4 holes with the TB, so that little thing is more of either preference
for some or a myth. It may sound silly at first, but try a slow yawn in
front of a mirror and notice how the inside of your mouth has enlarged.
What's this got to do with TB? When you yawn, any restrictions in the air
flow have been removed because the "oral cavity" has been fully enlarged for
maximum air flow, so what it means is that you need to make more adjustments
to the inside shape of your mouth to compensate for the tongue being in use
this way, and once you do, the TB is easier. Also, make sure you're not
pressing the tonge hard on the harp, because that will also restrict proper
air flow. With puckering, there is nothing in the way to impede a reed's
direct shot of air coming into it.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA