Re: Pro Junior Tube Swap

Eric wrote:
"What is the suggested tube set up for the Pro Junior. I'm looking to use it
as a practice amp and possibly at some small room gigs, where I've been
using my Blues Junior. I play mostly Chicago style blues."

=================================

Any tube swaps you might do could allow for more headroom and perhaps allow
the amp to "do it's thing" better before the feedback monster comes a
calling. But the swaps will not make it a different amp or give it a
different "tone," whatever that means. What mic are you using? That will
make a difference. If you're using a high-output bullet-style mic such as a
JT-30 or Shure 520, I'd suggest either two 12AY7 preamp tubes or two 12AU7
preamp tubes. Same with a 545S. I know, though, that BBQ Bob M., doesn't
swap any - I hope that he'll add his 2 cents to the conversation. If you're
using a Shure SM57 or 58, you may not need to swap out any tubes at all.
Also, as far as the Pro Junior being a "practice amp," keep in mind that
this is a VERY loud amp for its size. From 1996-98 I used to play bar-room
gigs with mine unmiked .... and that was in a band with a guitarist (who
used a Blues Junior), bass and drums (and I wasn't a very resonant player
then; I reckon I could get even more volume out of it now). In practical
terms, my Pro Junior didn't seem to me to be any less loud than my
guitar-playing buddy's Blues Junior.
MN