Re: Small Harp Amp Princeton Reverb

Another 2 cents...Saginaw Dan is right on the money.  I own or have owned way
too many amps, the Princeton Reverb is the best small sized harp amp for the
money, especially the silverface ones.  Not to put down the blackfaces (which
are the absolute best regardless of price), but SF's can be found for almost 1/2
the price of BF's.  The differences are minor between the two.  The BF has
superior construction but the circuits are almost identical.  The later SF's
have slightly higher voltages but these can be tweaked back down with an
appropriate rectifier.  Late 70's SF's had additional changes such as the pull
boost, slightly different reverb circuit, different value power supply
resistors...these can easily be fixed to BF specs by an amp tech.  All the
Princeton Reverbs have great quality construction, point to point wiring, and
best of all great sound.  A modern boutique version of the Princeton would
probably cost $1500 if it was available.
    Stock they usually sound great, some tube swaps, even a bit better, and oh,
that killer verb.  Occasionally they can be a bit bright sounding, the vibrato
can be a bit lame sounding (I know of a real easy tweak that can make the
Princeton vibrato sound great).  But...Princetons are great amps to mod for you
DIY types.  Easy to work on.  I've modded a few over the years into killer
sounding harp amps.  Should mention that there are quite a few published
Princeton mods (or improvements as they're called) on the internet and in guitar
books.  Some are good, many are designed for guitar players though, so be
cautious about having a guitar oriented amp tech talk you into a modification to
the amp.
    Princeton Reverbs rock, don't ever pass one by, should a reasonably priced
one be offered to you.  If I had more time, I'd get into some more details of
mods, but I got two Princeton Reverbs on my bench as I type this e-mail that I
have to get working on.  Hey Jim R. can you help me out here!?!?! :-)

Regards,
Don D.