RE: Major Pentatonic

>From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>For those who are interested, my book "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications,
>NYC) contains pentatonic scale exercises in 12 keys.
>This scale is called the "major pentatonic," not the "Irish" pentatonic...
>By the way, the minor pentatonic scale includes the same scale degrees
>as the major (1-2-3-5-6), with the exception that the the third degree
>of the scale is flatted (e.g. in C, the major pentatonic scale is
>C-D-E-G-A; the minor pentatonic scale is C-D-Eb-G-A).
>
>It's a very useful scale.
>
>Regards, Richard Hunter
Great post and great book Richard. Jazz Harp II would be something nice to
see someday but I realize that there is a limited buying pool from a
publishing standpoint.

I've always considered a minor pentatonic scale to be a mode(Aeolian/Natural
Minor) of the major pentatonic

1  2  3  5  6
C  D  E  G  A
            A  C  D  E  G
            1  b3 4  5  b7

Having known and used the OTHER Minor Pentaonic for years, I've never known
what it is really called.
Minor Pentaonic #2?
R & B Pentatonic?

C  D  Eb  G  A
1  2  b3  5  6

In certain tunes in a minor key, the major sixth of this scale would have a
more pronounced tension than a minor sixth or seventh would.

Michael Peloquin
http://www.harphouse.com/peloquin1.html