RE: LW - Big Bill

Rich writes,
One of the influences mentioned is Big Bill Broonzy.
I think I recall Eric Clapton also talking about him as
an early influence.  Any info on him?   What would be
a good first CD to buy?
_______________________________
Hi Rich,

Coincidently was just asked to write a short bio on BBB for a new
guitar book, so happen to have the following in the computer:

"Big Bill Broonzy was not only a superb guitarist and singer, but
also a gifted composer, arranger, organizer, accompanist, storyteller
and all-around raconteur.  His career was so spectacular that a brief
bio does him little justice; his own book 'Big Bill Blues' (Da Capo
Press) is recommended without reservation.

"One of 17 Broonzy children born to ex-slaves, William Lee Conley
Broonzy came from Mississippi to Chicago in the '20s and quickly
established himself as the premier blues artist in the Windy City.
Up until his death in 1958, Big Bill was probably the most prolific
musician in blues history.  His output includes an astonishing number
of recordings: over 550 in his own name, over 600 more as a sideman.
In 'Big Bill Blues' Broonzy wrote his own epitaph: 'Don't say I'm a
musician or guitar player - just write Big Bill was a well known
blues singer... he was a happy man when he was drunk and playing with
women; he was liked by all the blues singers.' "

As for which CDs to buy, none of them are bad, but check the initial
recording dates -- Broonzy's career could almost be looked upon as
having been in three distinct periods:

1) '20s/early '30s:  Bill often played raggier guitar, hokum-style
stuff under various pseudonyms (Big Bill Johnson, etc.)  Fantastic
guitar work in this era, and the singing is very good if perhaps not
quite as outstanding as it would later become, IMHO.

2) Late '30s/'40s: Formulaic Bluebird Era stuff, usually with Bill in
a trio or quartet format.  Not as musically interesting a period for
Bill (or for blues in general, IMHO.)

3) '50s: 'The Folk Revival' saw Big Bill go back to solo playing.
His singing here is quite wonderful, and his amazing guitar work is
right out in front -- marvelous stuff (perhaps with the exception of
his very last sessions when he was understandably ill.)

I envy you in your upcoming discoveries!

cheers,

Tom Ball
Santa Barbara

.