Re: Sp20

ShMclendon wrote:
>I just took apart a Sp20 looking to take the reed plate from one harp to fix
>another all the Sp 20's i have had have Screws holding the reed plate... in
>this one has what looks to be Brass round headed rivits or pins it has four
>pins going from the Draw side to the blow side and Three going blow side to
>the Draw side and the hole pattern is not the Same as the one with
>Screws ......What is this never seen one like it ??

Up until about 1996, Special 20s were assembled with nails rather than screws.
This wasn't uncommon on Hohner handmade harps at the time, the Golden Melody
was assembled with nails even later, only in the last couple of years have the
screwed-together ones replaced the nailed models.

It isn't too hard to remove these nails, especially using a tip I got from
Rupert Oysler (thanks, Rupert!): place the harp on a very small socket with the
head going through the middle of the socket and tap the tip of the nail with a
hammer and punch.  It should slip right through.  If you peen the holes back a
little smaller on the tip plate you can reassemble the harp with the same
nail.  The combs should be identical, so you can swap these plates with a newer
harp, though if, as you say, the patterns are different, you may not be able to
mix them.

- -tim