Re: Big Bill Broonzy & Jazz Gillum

I just received the following email from Scott Dirks, notifying me
that a recording of Key To The Highway by pianist Chares Segar
actually predates both the Gillum version *and* the Broonzy version.
To wit:

>Actually.... "Key To The Highway" was FIRST recorded by Charlie
>Segar in (I'm going from memory here) February of 1940.  The Gillum
>version was
>recorded a few months later, and the Broonzy version about a year
>after that.  I'm at work now so I'm going strictly from memory, and
>may be slightly off on the dates, but Segar definitely recorded it
>before either Gillum or Broonzy.

Thanks, Scott -- I was unaware of the Segar version.  And looking in
G&D, you are right-on with the date: Feb 23,'40, which would've
predated Gillum's version of May 9,'40.

Thanks for the info,

- -TB

PS: I wonder if there's a writer's credit on the Segar version?