Re: Super Reverb Question, Take 2

Bill Houle wrote:

> Sorry if this is a repeat, I think I had the wrong
> address on my first try...
>
> I recently acquired a ?72 silverface Fender Super
> Reverb that was modded back to blackface specs. I?m
> working on getting it tuned up for harp and am trying
> to figure out how to make this a more versatile amp at
> lower volumes as well.  I searched the archives and
> got a lot of good info on preamp tube swaps,
> rectifiers, power tubes and preferred tube types. I
> still have a couple questions:
>
> 1. I heard you could just pull one of the main power
> tubes to be able to overdrive at lower volumes. Is
> this really a good idea or does it strain some other
> part of the circuit? Does it matter which one you
> pull?

Do not do.  Theorietically can be done but there are a lot of issues you
have to be aware of and compensate for.  I would recommend against it
highly.

> 2. Power attenuators seem like another possibility.
> Any particular model to get or avoid?

I 've heard good things about the Weber MASS unit, though no experience
myself.

> 3. It has Eminence speakers in it. I don?t know much
> about speakers, are there better types to use for this
> amp?

I have a "blackfaced" 72 silverface Super myself with Eminence
speakers.  Too sterile sounding.  Plan on getting a quad of Weber P10R
type speakers with the "H" dustcaps.

Tube suggestions: 5R4 rectifier (not to be confused with a 5AR4), 6L6
GC's (JJ or Svetlana), rebias amp.  Also slightly mismatched tubes might
sound better for harp, if special ordering try getting a pair of tubes
with around a 5-10ma mismatch.  For the pre amp try a 12DW7 for the 1st
gain stage, 12AT7 reverb driver, 12AU7 or 12AY7 for reverb recovery.
12AX7 vibrato driver.  12AT7 phase inverter, though also try a 12DW7 in
the phase inverter slot, gives the amp a fatter sound, I prefer a 12DW7
in the phase inverter on my Super.  If you're familiar with the cool
trick of outputing your reverb tank into the normal channel (it's in one
of Gerry Webers amp books), use a 12AU7 in the reverb recovery slot and
a 12AU7 in the normal channel first gain stage.
    Jim Rossen turned me onto a cool mod of swapping out your reverb
tank with a special order Accutronics short decay tank that eliminates a
lot of the excess sustain and ringing of the stock long decay tank.  Do
this in conjunction with a quick and easy ($1in parts and requires
soldering) internal reverb circuit mod I know of it will make your
reverb sound great for harp.

Good luck,
Don D.