Re: harp-l-digest V10 #39

hey all
this post is so true on many levels... i hate not being able to test an
instrument, but i realize due to hygiene why this is... i play a hohner
marine band, and would like to try sp20's or LO's but would basically have
to buy one to try it... which leads me to a good question, is there that
much noticeable difference for a novice in feeling the difference between
wood and plastic... my first harp was a cheap plastic one( comes with a book
kind) before i bought the MB's... as for finding the harp in the mainstream,
only blues traveller has any pull right now, and they are still in the
cult/word of mouth fan base category like phish or dave matthews band,
although DMB has become popular in the last year or two, getting some radio
play... i wish, like someone posted once, that someone with some star power
played the harp, might bring in up to the level of guitar status with the
younger musicians...  we don't like being big, obvious posers like
guitarists lol :) besides, harp players are a mysterious, tight knit
group,which we all kind of like, right???? ...anyway, i'm rambling on,
ian

Good luck!
As we all know or may not, about the retail music stores:
Harmonica is an accessory, not an instrument.
This is due to price, popularity(or lack thereof), small numbers of truly
accomplished players and the personal hygiene issues of testing in the
stores.
Harmonica is a very underground instrument because of how difficult it can
really be to play well and its mysterious nature to other musicians. To me
the saddest part is that one cannot listen to 30 minutes of TV or radio
without hearing our favorite instrument, try to find ONE tune in this weeks
Billboard Hot 100 with harmonica on it. If you do find that tune, I would
bet that it would be something along the lines of the "accessory" type
playing of morrisette, dylan, young etc.

Keep on keepin on...
Michael Peloquin