My New Blackbird

Sorry for the double post if this appears again.  I'm testing different source
computers.  I'm not sure which one is working.

My new Blackbird arrived yesterday, just in time for an "out-of-the-box
assessment.  I bought this harp, as it is promoted by my harp teacher, Fred
Yonnet.  Yes, I'm trying to learn OB's.  Wish me luck.  I'll report back in
about 100 years.

So, out-of-the-box.  Its funny about assessments.  Something can be great in
almost every aspect, but one annoying feature can blow the whole thing.  I like
this harp and think it will be servicable with some adjustment.  Its very well
made, feels good in the hands.  I like the way the comb protrudes just slightly
ahead of the covers.  Its easy to  feel the comb and holes.  For the most part
its fairly responsive.

So what's the annoying piece? The 3 hole draw requires WAY too much air for the
reed to respond.  Its VERY difficult to bend at all, much less with any
accuracy.  I'm going to wait until I break-it in a bit to give it a chance to
improve, but I expect that the reed is too high, i.e., gap to big.

I'm not real confident with gap setting, but I know I have to learn.  My
thought is to take off the covers and GENTLY push the reed down a littlest,
tinyest bit.  I would use a stroking technique from the middle of the reed to
the free end.  I'd do this a few times with a toothpick or something that would
scratch the surface of the reed.  Then I'd check to see if it made a difference.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt