Re: Nightmares

In a message dated 1/10/03 3:27:36 PM, double_reeds@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Another possible question is whether "perfect pitch"
> is necessary. Is being able to differentiate 440 from
> 442 more important than being able to recognize a
> disharmony with your playing partners?

    I have a pretty awful ear, but I will admit it has gotten better over the
years. Now, I'm losing   some hearing and that takes an adjustment. For my
harp playing, I guess I can pretty much tell where I am with the bends, but I
sure can't hear if a note is going flat until it gets way flat.
   I have lost a lot of my high frequency hearing and hearing aids give such
a harsh sound that I don't like them when I am playing music, especially
harp. Too many overtones inside and outside the head.
So, I bought an upright bass and I play that some of the time when the bunch
I hang out with gathers. I still hear bass sounds pretty good.

Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp