Re: Boss Harmonica: The Life of Little Walter (Boston Phoenix, book review)

rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< I think the author of the review "Boss harmonica: The life of Little
Walter"
 was a little too hard on the book, and has probably unrealistic
 expectations.
  I think the book is better than the review. >>

i enjoyed the book, but i didn't find this review to be totally inaccurate.
it was rather dryly written, and i would say that what made the book
interesting (to me) was the subject matter.
this became very obvious to me the day after i finished this book, and
started reading robert gordon's muddy bio, "can't be satisfied," which
grabbed me by the figurative collar from the forward and never let
go...gordon is just a very evocative writer.  of course, he's also helped by
his subject, in that muddy's life was better documented in some aspects, he
outlived walter by fifteen years, and he had a much higher profile in general
then walter.
none of this is to take away from the book that was written...i certainly
enjoyed it.

stevenj...the gator-man