Re: Re: Who is correct? Bassman speakers

Boogie (and others) wrote:
"... Fender puts the Celestion Vintage 30 in the custom shop '59 Bassman
..."

=================================

As far as I can tell by their web site, Fender DOESN'T MAKE a "custom shop
'59 Bassman." They do make a "Bassbreaker" that looks quite like the tweed
Bassman, but it has two 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. With all the
opinions flying around (which, by the way, are like ... well, you know -
everyone's got one), I think we can at least agree that two 12" speakers are
not going to perform exactly like four 10" speakers. Apples and oranges.
Just an incidental reminder: Back in '99, David Barrett, host of the
Harmonica Masterclass, held a big amp comparison. The '59 RI Bassman held
its own in the large class against all kinds of vintage and boutique combos
including Rod Piazza's Harp King, the Sonny Jr. I and II, and a 1965
Vibrolux. At the test, judges thought this amp sounded the best from the
entire group but felt that it needed to be turned up. Barrett later wrote:
"If cash is a factor (when isn't it?) the Bassman was in the top three and a
GREAT amp." Don't let the hyperbole floating around make you think the
re-issue is a "bad" amp - it's not. Of course it's not a Victoria or an
actual 1959 Bassman but it's way more affordable too.
MN