Re: Sustain

> Guitarists often use the word "sustain" that sense,
> but I think
> strictly speaking it should be "decay" or "release".

I agree that this is technically correct, esp in
Physics. However, "sustain" also has a traditional
definition in Accoustics, as per prev post.

> I was using "sustain" in the very basic sense that
> on a harmonica you
> can sustain a chord for a long time by continuing to
> blow or draw it,
> as contrasted with the guitar or the piano, where
> the sound begins to
> decay almost immediately after you have plucked or
> hammered the
> strings.

Here I disagree. A better term would be "maintain".
Using "sustain" would be contrary to popular
conception of the term.

Not only that: I can lock down a key on my keyboard
from now until doomsday and "sustain" (by your def)
that note or chord. You can't blow your harp that
long. On a grand scale it would be equivalent to a
plucked note. It kinda makes me wary of that
particular interpretation of "sustain".

> This usage would be consistent with the way
> synthesiser users talk
> about a sound envelope in terms of its ADSR -
> Attack, Decay, Sustain
> and Release.

Actually, that's a wrong interpretation. "Attack" and
"Decay" are envelope formulators. "Sustain" and
"Release" are modifiers (a corruptive influence).

Ted