Re:2000 hours - YIKES

> 1) How long had you folks played the diatonic before you played in front
> of an audience (or were moderately proficient enough to do so)?

About a year and a half, I think I put in 2000 hours back then, but the
harmonica was also the very first instrument I ever touched.

> 2) For you master harpers, how long did it take you to get to the point
> where you could play in third position or higher, play overbends, use
> tongue-blocking, etc.?

I wouldn't call my self a master (no tone att all), although I have been
chanting "I am a master" to myself the past week, but at the moment I have
well over 10000 hours of messing around with the harp behind me.
I think I am not a very efficient student so with more focus and
concentration the overblows can probably be learned in less time than that.
I just like to play the harmonica :-)

> Despite my (relatively) quick start, I'm starting to sober to the notion
> that the skills referenced in question #2 will take considerably more
> dedication.

I tried them and yes, I think so too.

Tinus
http://www.tenhole.com
Overblows and Overdraws on the Diatonic Harmonica.

http://www.overblow.com/harmonica
Scale and Chord finder for the harmonica and all alternative tunings.