re: tone and proficiency

Rather than speak of "good" tone, it's better to think of appropriate tone.
For example, a violinist playing Prokofiev would use a different tone than a
violinist playing Cripple Creek. A guitarist playing Hendrix would use a
different tone than a guitarist playing the Ventures.Listen to Johnny Hyland
playing Nashville telecaster compared to Muddy Waters playing the same
guitar. Both had awesome tone, both sound completely different. Listen to
Annie Raines play jug band music. She nails the jug band sound. Close your
eyes and it sounds just like the real deal. She also nails the warm Chicago
tone.Both tones are good. Both tones are different.

Music is a language. Proficiency just means being able to speak the
language. Again with proficiency, the harp is just an instrument with 10
holes. You don't get proficient on the harp, you get proficient playing a
certain kind of music on the harp. In a jam band setting you can't beat John
Popper. For Chicago blues, where you need to hold back, and part of the
music (like hip hop) is a lot of space in the music, you can't beat Sonny
Boy Williamson. I can get get a great amplified tone and I can blow a
million notes a minute, but Annie Raines is a much better blues musician.
She's learned to hold back, to swing, to be concise. She knows the language,
and she expresses herself much better than I do.

Fortunately, learning the language is fun. Take a couple of theory classes
at your community college. Listen to a lot of CDs-not necessarily harp CDs
but CDs in the genre you're interested in. Find other musicians to play
with.You won't get as good as Annie Raines overnight, but the process is so
much fun that it doesn't really matter.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals