Re: Quest For Tone - and the invisible monster

On Friday, January 17, 2003 11:07 PM
Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote :

<snip>

> I had a similar feling about using vibrato in what
> seemed to me to be an exaggerated way (this was on
> chromatic playing a pseudo-Irish tune). It felt nice
> to do but I thought it sounded silly - until I
> recorded it. In comparision with a lighter vibrato, or
> none at all, it sounded great! What seemed exaggerated
> to my ears behind the harp sounded just right on the
> other side of the harp, and lifted the tune off the
> page and made it sing. But I never would have known
> that if I hadn't recorded it and listened back.
<snip>

> Winslow

A bit after reading this I was - coincidentally -
in the mood to listen to Lee Oskar doin' the self penned "Steppin' "
from his Before The Rain album.
Lee's playin' is full n juicy n big-toned but I wish
he used vibrato (which he has in spades) in those
high register sustained harp whistlings.
Other than that the piece is in my book one of the funkiest
pieces that feature horns with a harmonica lead.
And how ! the song sets off and ends with bagpippes (!!!).
Funky indeed.