Re: tone and walter horton

In a message dated 1/20/03 2:09:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Vadimonium@xxxxxxx writes:

> hi,
> it's a long and interesting - although somewhat pointed at times...ha! -
> discussion re: tone. i'm just wondering if i'm the only person on the
> planet
> who likes walter horton for other demensions to  his playing in addition to
>
> his tone? so often when his name is mentioned discussion centers on his
> tone;
> but, man, i love his phrasing, his choice of notes, and the feelings i get
> when i listen closely to his music. the set of licks in tom ball's book re:
>
> little walter and walter horton is a master class in so many other things
> about horton's playing than tone only.
>
> his stuff is, to my ear, multi-demensional and deserves recognition for
> that,
> too. i rarely hear his name brought up about anything other than his tone,
> and, to me, that's a shame. he brought ever more to the blues and the harp.
> thanks,

> Que se puede hacer --
> Vadie...

Vadie,

Indeed , Horton is a top notch player, and kills on just about all levels.
His work on Jimmy Roger's "Walking By Myself" showcases a tremendous amount
minimalism and raw power. I agree , there is much more to Horton than just
his tone.

Andrew