Amps

A few weeks ago I bought my first tube amp...a Harmony H303.  The only
other amp I played through much was a Danelectro Dirty 30.  Let me say
first that the Hamrony is WAY better than the Danelectro.  This is
mainly because IMHO the Danelectro positively sucks for harp.  There was
so little headroom in the volume adjustment that I couldn't even TOUCH
the dirty-sweet knob without getting feedback.  All this with my JT-30
which has the lowest output of the three mics I own.  To be fair, a
friend of mine now has it, and loves it's tone for guitar.

Back to the Harmony:  The headroom is perfect for me...feeds back at
nearly full volume with my JT-30, and around 70% volume with my Green
Bullet.  The volume is just right for my apartment.  The tube distortion
sounds sweet a good ways before feedback (but extra nice nearer to
feedback).  The only complaint I have is that the lower notes "bark"
quite a bit.  Probably because of the 6 inch speaker.

For the price (I got it and a CM Green Bullet for 275 $Cdn) it's a nice
practice amp, and just what I need for my apartment.

I have some questions about gigging amps.  In particular, I'm trying to
figure out what I should buy to be ready to play open stages.  I've been
to a few (as a listener only), and most of the ones I've been to dont
have a harp player in the host band, so you dont have a harp-friendly
rig ready to go.  There are a few options I can think of.

1)  Buy an amp big enough to cut through the mix.  I expect I'd need
about 40 watts or more.  These jams are too freakin' loud.  Pros:  Get
to buy cool gear, become self-sufficient.  Cons:  heavy and expensive.

2)  Buy a pre-amp (or tube amp with line-out), and try to plug into the
soundboard at a jam.  Pros:  cheaper, still get to control my amp tone.
 Cons:  how easy is it to get a line to the soundboard at a jam?

3)  Learn to play into vocal mics well, and show up with just harps.
 Pros:  cheapest lightest, easiest option.  Cons:  Vocal mics seem less
forgiving than harp mics for finger and breat noises.  I need all the
help I can get masking my crappy tone and technique.

4)  Bring a small/mid sized amp early, have them mic it at sound check,
and let anyone who want's to blow harp use my gear.  Pros:  Get to use
whatever gear I like best.  Cons:  sound guys and/or host band may not
be into this.

Those of you with open stage/sitting in experience, what are your thoughts?

Roy G