RE: Turblolid design

Doug Tate has demonstrated quite effectively in his playing (and
explained in both his book and the harp-l archives) that you can shape
the cup formed by the hands to enhance projection significantly.  This
may be a matter of resonant frequencies in a way similar to Helmholtz
resonators, but I can't say.  Also, whether this effects "tone" is
another issue.

The key is that he changes hand shape minutely depending on what note is
played.  Thus, I would guess that a static and non-malleable cover would
not give similar results as Doug's technique.  That said, the Turbolid
may help increase perceived loudness and projection because of the way
it funnels everything in one uniform direction, unlike most other harp
lids.  This combined with a greater overall volume of air under the
Turbolid may have a significant effect.

 ()()   JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()  & Snuffy, too:)
`---'