Re: Fender Champ

In a message dated 1/26/03 7:31:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mdestefano@xxxxxxxx writes:

> To the pre-amp tube, after experimenting with several
> types and brands there is one that totally stands out for use in a Champ
> and
> that is a NOS Telefunken 12AX7.  These are incredibly expensive (like $100
> tube!!) if you can even find one but they are so sweet.  Much warmer and
> smoother sounding , without that extreme high end gaininess that are so
> common
> with the currently made Russian/Chinese (or even NOS US made) 12AX7's.
> Since
> Telefunkens are so expensive and rare a good option to consider would be
> the new
> JJ 12AX7.  JJ is currently manufacturing a 12AX7 modeled/cloned from the
> Telefunken.

I would check into the Ei tubes from Yugoslavia, I hear that these are pretty
good in the preamp section. I am currently using one of their EL84 tubes and
I swear that thing sounds like a Mullard in the power stage of a K-zoo.
Angela.com has these for $4.99 right now. If you want some good tubes for a
low price these are the way to go.  I like Telefunkens as well, but I swear
the price of them is ridiculous. They are rather nice though.

Andrew