Ability to read music

Richard Hunter sez:
<<the session I described in a previous message to this list,
where the producer's first words to me were "you can read, right?",,,,  The
ability to read simple melodies on a G clef is enough to get the gig in
many cases>>

I got a studio gig recording harmonica for a public school project on Warner
Bros. because I had told the studio engineer that I read music. He
recommended me to the producer over the other harmonica players on his roster
(none of whom could read). The producer was thrilled that he could speak
fluent music with me, on paper and in discussion. Session went very well and
I am on call for any further Warner Bros projects recorded at this particular
studio.

Serious studio players should learn to read.

The Iceman