OIL FINISHES

For those concerned about using oil as a sealer of
harp combs here is a little info from a seller of Tung
Oil as well as other finishes.  You will believe what
you want about this but I have used these finishes for
years.  Yes I will die sooner now than when I started,
but so goes life.  I have made flutes, bowls and
spoons that use this or similar oil finishes.

This in a previous form may appear but I think i just
erased it so here it goes again.  I must perpetuate my
myths.

LennyHarp

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/oil.html

USE:  The surface should be dusted to remove all loose
particles. Alternatively, you can lightly sand the
first coat before applying a second. Any filling,
sealing or staining must be done before the oil is
applied. The first coat should be a liberal one, and
you can rub it over the wood with your hand, a soft
rag. Allow this application to sit for 20 minutes so
the oil can soak in, then remove any excess with clean
soft rags. Check after about half an hour for any
seeping, and rub this off as well. Let dry completely
(24-48 hours) between coats. For woods with very open
pores, allow an extra 24 hours drying time.

Tung oil can be applied pure or with Citrus Solvent
added if a non-toxic finish is required. Thinners can
accelerate the drying process and greatly improve the
penetration by cutting the first coat of oil with
Citrus Solvent, mineral spirits or turpentine by 50%.
Remember by adding mineral spirits or turpentine, Pure
Tung Oil becomes toxic with these substances mixed
into it, although the finish produced is not toxic
because the driers evaporate.

"SNIP"

Pure Tung Oil is recommended for kitchen tables,
chopping blocks and boards, and similar uses. Its
non-toxic nature makes it particularly appropriate for
children's toys and furniture. It gives good
protection to wood panelling and moulding.