Re: Astatic D-104

The Astatic D-104 is a popular ham radio mic.  Aside from the classic looks,
its speech qualities are quite good.  It emphasizes highs when spoken into
from any distance.

They have an amplified version, the T-UG model.  The amplifier isn't for
boosting level.  It's for impedance matching.

I bought my D-104 back in the 70's, for use as a <gasp!> ham radio
microphone.  It sounded WAYYY too thin through my (vacuum tube) Heathkit
HW-101.  The HW101 specs at 500k mic input impedance.  I talked with
Astatics engineering department.  They said this wasn't high enough (despite
the mic spec sheet saying otherwise), and recommended I install their
preamplifier kit, which I did.  The sound quality improved dramatically
(much fuller), and an annoying hum I'd had from the beginning went away.

As far as being too hot, the preamp has a screwdriver type volume control,
so you can set it wherever you like.

Have I ever tried it for harmonica?  Nope.  It's too big, and the base would
be very awkward (the preamp is in the base.)  But I imagine it would sound
incredible if you could get it cupped.  I have large hands, and this
wouldn't be a problem for me.

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com
Southland Blues Magazine http://www.SouthlandBlues.com