Stevie Wonder and SPAH

Stevie has long been a member of SPAH - he was awarded Lifetime Honorary
Membership in the late 1960's. As reflected in smo-joe's post, his
address is an official management office, where each issue of Harmonica
Happenings is mailed. Has SPAH ever heard officially from Stevie? Not
that I'm aware of. Is he kept apprised of SPAH functions, articles, and
updates by his associates? I doubt it.

As mentioned, harmonica is not his primary or ultimate form of
expression, though we certainly wish - selfishly - he would pay more
attention to the harpers who idolize him.

Thielemans, McCoy, and most other harmonicists (which by the way is a
classic description, as are cellists, pianists, violinists, bassists -
you get the idea) are certified harmonica "nuts" by their own admission
- - Stevie is not. Sure he loves his harmonica, but it is not his primary
vehicle, as we are well aware.

SPAH has been approached many times by membership to send an invitation
to Stevie to appear, but there are some very serious factors to
consider, as I have previously explained to several of the requestors -
you know who you are.

There is no one in the SPAH organization who would not want to host
Stevie at a convention - no one is against it on the surface. BUT -
factors to consider range from security problems to venue size
requirements to accessibility, that being the least of SPAH's problems.
Regarding those who "know" him - Frank Huang has custom-built Stevie's
4-octave Hohner 64's for many years, and I assume still does. So that
could be an "in" for contacting him, circumventing his manager's office.
Cham-Ber also knows him, but probably not as intimately as Frank.
And yes, Toots does know him, and they have considered doing a duo
sometime, but as yet it hasn't happened. They have mutual admiration for
each other, and consider the other the best in their respective fields.
But they are also both very busy with their own schedules, and have not
yet taken steps to "get together".

At one point in time, in the early 1990's, Stevie became interested in
the Milllionizer 2000, so as is his custom when ordering anything, he
ordered two systems - one to play, and one to put in storage in his
warehouse. Eddie Gordon, who was promoting them for Walt Miller,
delivered the systems, and gave Stevie some preliminary instruction in
playing. (This according to Eddie's story.) However, as it turns out,
Stevie's "people" never paid for the instruments, so Eddie was
instructed by Walt to pick them up. When he did so, Stevie was very
disappointed when he heard later of the incident, but neither was
payment offered by his office. Eddie had a very small car, and asked me
to store one of the systems at my home until he could later pick it up,
and he took the other system home with him. I later delivered it to
Eddie at his home in Fresno. All of Eddie's contact with Stevie was at
his office, so as smo-joe says, "no one knows where he lives."

Venue size and security? Imagine what would happen if word got out that
Stevie was going to appear at a local hotel? And word would get out,
believe me. When SPAH first started "blues night" at the Ramada Inn in
Romulus, MI, the lounge area, which was a good size, was booked for
atmosphere. Not knowing whether SPAH attendees would fill the room for
this new venture, it was advertised in Detroit papers and on radio. The
room quickly filled to capacity and then some to see Charlie
Musselwhite, Sugar Blue, Little Sonny, Wild Child Butler, Madcat Ruth,
and host Robert Jones. A few SPAH attendees, but the majority was from
the general public. What would have happened if Stevie were there? Who
knows? And who wants to be responsible? We must remember that SPAH is a
100% volunteer organization trying to do its best in the many areas of
operation - it is not in the business of booking giants in the industry
at Madison Square Garden and all that it entails.

Any volunteers out there who are willing to make such an undertaking? If
so, get it going, SPAH will support you morally, not financially, and
let's all have a great time with Stevie!

Danny
- --
Danny Wilson - Santa Clarita, CA
BassHarp: http://www.bassharp.com